Thursday, August 10, 2006

Yes I know.

Cardiff University researchers have found a dangerous flaw in HSBC's online banking system (its called being on line). The Guardian says a security loophole could be exploited to break into any of the bank's 3.1 million UK online accounts within nine attempts. It relies on "key loggers" gadgets or software viruses that capture the keystrokes made on a particular computer which can enable a hacker to work out the information needed to successfully log onto an account within a few attempts. This just reinforces my opinion that there is no such thing as a secure connection. Banks seam to be saving money at our expense by closing local branches and expecting us to bank on line. To me banking on line amounts to walking down the road with your months wages held out in front of you. As soon as I received my on line banking details I destroyed them with out even looking at them and then sent my bank a letter thanking them for further compromising the security of my account. If I require a service from a company I am quite capable of asking for it. I do not want it shoved down my throat. The only other company that is stupid enough to do this is Arkwright on Open All Hours with his ginger cake.

No comments: